That KVM is crap, I've used it for several systems and I've never had any
luck with it.  It has only worked for me on two windows machines, never
worked right on a *nix system at all. I use this one with my linux boxes
and it works fine:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707064

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM, David Rysdam <da...@rysdam.org> wrote:

> Back in my day we had it bad. Uphill to school, analog phones, etc. But
> our KVMs were simple AB hardware switches and we liked it, by gum.
>
> Today, I'm trying to hook up a VGA-only desktop and an HDMI-only
> Raspberry Pi to a VGA/DVI monitor with USB keyboard and mouse.
>
> Many options, but I eventually decided on a combination HDMI->VGA
> converter (powered and active) and this KVM:
>
>     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107417
>
> Forget about the Pi and the converter for a minute, because just the KVM
> won't work right.
>
> If you boot the computer up "normally" (i.e. no KVM in the loop) and
> then connect the KVM, it works great. If you boot up with the KVM in the
> loop, the screen goes into power save right before/as the video card
> goes into graphics mode. After a series of experiments, it has been
> determined that gdm3 is not really running there, but it does pop up if
> you switch the KVM out the loop without powering down. Putting the KVM
> back in the loop then and it works as expected.
>
> I don't know much about what happens between the normal bootup and when
> gdm starts running (this is on Debian 6), but I'm guessing there's a
> hardware detect going on that the KVM is failing to negotiate. Any
> ideas?
>
> (As I was writing this email, I realized I could use a KVM just for the
> K&M and let the dual input monitor handle the two Vs. But that would
> require two "switching actions" for the user, so I'd rather get this
> thing working if I can.)

Richard Kolb II