I built one of these a few years ago, back when the N40L was the current
model, and it's worked like a charm. I configured FreeNAS to use ZFS
mirroring with 2 drives.

Best NAS I've ever used at home.

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Mark Komarinski <mkomarin...@wayga.org>wrote:

> (I've had this in my draft mailbox for quite a while after I promised
> sending this.  It's getting rather long, so I'll send this and then open
> up for questions.  tl;dr: I like it.)
>
> So there's really two parts to this review.  First the hardware.
>
> I started with the HP ProLiant G7 N54L Microserver, 2x Kingston 4GB RAM,
> and 2x WD RED 4TB drives.
>
> I'll admit to a bit of a bias against HP - I never really liked the
> server or consumer hardware.  But this box is pretty nice.  It's a
> fairly small cube with a locking front door that gives access to the 4
> drive bays (which clearly say 'not hot swap') and the motherboard.
> There's a panel on top that gives access to a 5.25" bay if you want to
> put in an optical drive.  The rear has two short PCI expansion slots, a
> few USB ports, power, and GigE port.  I'm not looking at it right now
> but I also think it has an external SATA connector.
>
> The HP comes with 2GB of RAM and a 250GB SATA drive in the first bay.
> Given I'm intending to install FreeNAS on a USB drive and using ZFS says
> you need a minimum of 8GB of RAM, both of these have to go.  Getting
> access to the RAM was a bit tricky at first as the motherboard is laying
> on the bottom of the case with various cables plugged in and two 'tool
> less' screws to allow you to slide the motherboard out.  I say 'tool
> less' as they were torqued on enough that I needed a screwdriver to
> loosen it enough to remove it by hand.  I had to also disconnect most of
> the cables (power, case, SATA) so it could slide out.  With that done, I
> noticed there's an internal USB connector which was small enough for the
> FreeNAS drive I made previously (more on that later).  Stuck that in and
> the only items plugged in externally are now power and Ethernet.
> Removing the drive from the sled showed it was using a star-head screw
> and so getting it out made me reach for my set of computer tools until I
> noticed that the interior of the door has a small wrench and a set of
> screws - enough for all of the sleds.  That made short work of removing
> the 250GB and dropping in the 4TB.
>
> My only complaint about the HP box is that the power switch is located
> on the upper right edge of the case, along the curve that goes from the
> front to the top.  It's not recessed or otherwise protected, so I hit it
> by accident a few times while moving it around.  Now that it's in my
> basement I don't expect that to happen often, but putting your hand on
> the area is enough to cause it to think you wanted to turn it off.
>
> Enough about the hardware.  On to FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org/)
>
> Installation to a standard 8GB USB drive was simple enough.  I'm using
> 9.2, the current release version.  The console screen at boot time is
> just plain text and only gives a few options.  The main way to configure
> is via the web interface.  It helpfully snags a DHCP address at boot
> time and the console shows the IP address it has.

> [...]

Email j...@blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / 2013 PGP-Key-ID 0x920063C6
2013 / ID 0x920063C6 / FP A5AD 6BE1 FEFE 8E4F 5C23  C2D0 E885 E17C 9200 63C6
2011 / ID 0x32A492D8 / FP 7834 AEC2 EFA3 565C A4B6  9BA4 0ACB AD85 32A4 92D8