My son, Evan, is into computers and music. He's got an electronic piano
that he says has MIDI out. All our computers are running Linux. I know
basically nothing about MIDI. Does anyone have any experience hooking
these up?

I decided there must be such a thing as a MIDI/USB adapter, but looking
them up they mention drivers and stuff. 'apt-cache search midi usb'
finds 2 hits, one of which is about temperature sensors(?). Is there
some standard I should be looking for? Will any of the MIDI-supporting
packages be able to read from the USB port?

What, basically, is the deal with Linux and MIDI?

(Also, is that maddog that I see cruising around with the "FREESW" real
license plate and "LINUX" fake one?)