I've been using jigl <http://xome.net/projects/jigl/> for years.

I copy my photos off & run a script to sort them into folders based on the
timestamp inside the EXIF of the photos.  They're all YYYYMMDD so they sort
in order.  I run jigl inside each directory to  creates a static HTML
gallery w/ thumbnails & links.  I do an ls2html script in the parent
directory to create an index.html.

I point my web server at the folder & it works.  I can burn it to DVDs.
Point at web browser at the top index.html and it looks the same.  If I
share the folder out on NFS/SMB/appleshare it works the same.

It looks like 2006 was the last update.  I like the fact that it's static
and extracts exif information.

Now, if there was something that could search the images w/o me adding lots
of metadata, I'd look at it.  Right now, the most I do is add to the
directory name.  Anyone know of something other then Google Images? :-)