I've only used Tor for a few minutes, maybe 5 years ago, just to try it
out, but I've always loved the idea. It would be great (and totally an ALA
sort of thing to do) if libraries all over ran nodes, especially exit
nodes, since aren't those the ones in short supply?

Aren't a huge number of nodes operated by the three-letter-agencies anyways?

It'll get interesting real fast if they host a Freenet or I2P node. Now
THOSE were full of unsavory things, at least a few years ago...