On Sep 9, 2016 23:05, "Joshua Judson Rosen" <roz...@hackerposse.com> wrote:

> On 09/09/2016 12:06 PM, Richard Kolb II wrote:
> > Not exactly related, but I just switched from windows 7 on my primary
> > machine to Ubuntu 16.x LTS. I found it horribly slow, which surprised
> > me considering it's a faster machine, more ram, and an SSD, over my
> > 14.x LTS machine.
>
> Does it perhaps have a worse graphics card--or perhaps even just
> a _worse-supported_ graphics card? Bottlenecks can be
> at the near end just as well as they can be at the far end....

If you run "Additional Drivers", it will inform you if there is a nonlibre
driver that might perform better.

xenial 16.04LTS with SSD, Intel graphics is amazing fast here.
(Intel NUK6i7kyk and EVO950pro nvme m.2 SSD . mDP works fine, HDMI didn't
do 4k for me. )

Don't be fooled by SATA mode m.2 SSDs, they're better than rotary drives
but they aren't the m.2 you are looking for!