I tried to build Mastodon about a year or two ago for the same reason and it
was a disaster.  The directions were garbage, the build failed differently each
time I tried (even within Docker), and the support was inadequate.  I had to
give up on it.  Might try again sometime to see if it's improved.

-Mark