On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 2:15 PM Bruce Labitt <bruce.lab...@myfairpoint.net>
wrote:

> "Dumb" machine, while actually computer controlled, is closed source.
> No possibility of changing its behavior.
> No ssh, no network.  It's a data logger to an SD card.  I have to use
> sneaker net to transport data to my PC.
>
> Other possibility (after a SD card backup) is to change the dumb machine
> clock back to standard time, hopefully without messing any settings up.

Dumb machines that don't understand timezones properly should probably be
set to Zulu=UTC as their timezone.
(Which is the internal time for most Linux systems' RTC also, TZ are just
user interface things there.)

(This solves the problem of having the same times twice when falling back;
there's no change.)

My Garmin GPS claims to understand TZ (for display) but records posits as
Z=UTC.

Alas that just makes things worse for reading the SD card, as that's always
4-5 hours ahead, unless the TZ is included in the timestamp on the SD card
(but not indication of DST/ST)?