On 1/6/21 4:16 PM, Bill Ricker wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 3:45 PM Joshua Judson Rosen <roz...@hackerposse.com
> <mailto:roz...@hackerposse.com>> wrote:
>
>     Showtime Computer <http://www.showtimepc.com/
> <http://www.showtimepc.com/>> in Hudson now does custom-built laptops,
>     as of some time in the last few years IIRC. They look like they're based
> on the same ODM kits
>     as the other Linux boutiques I've shopped, and should be solid.
>

> ?? I do NOT see Linux listed on their Operating Systems page (except for a
> WSL mention on WinSvr page).

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Showtime was itself a `Linux boutique',
just to say that they are apparently capable of assembling the same laptop
hardware as ZaReason and ThinkPenguin
were selling when last I'd looked; I'm not sure what the Showtime staff's level
of Linux savvy is,
or if you'd need to bring your own savvy about chipsets and/or
software-installation/-setup when
picking components for them to put together into a laptop.

It might be worth asking them.

While the experiences I've had with Showtime have been great,
the scope so far has been limited to buying hardware accessories and
occasionally
having them help me figure out which accessory I need.

I'm not sure where I'll get *my* next laptop--they're on my list of places to
look,
but my next laptop purchase is probably at least another year away.

>     ThinkPenguin <https://www.thinkpenguin.com
> <https://www.thinkpenguin.com>> is also based in NH again (Keene, last I
> heard);
>
> Interesting
>
>     looks like they've may have stopped doing laptops for the time being,
> though
>     (I don't see any in the listing on their website, just accessories; they
> have _desktops_...).
>
> Too bad
>
>     I was buying all of my computers from ZaReason, but they just went out of
> business
>     ("Unfortunately, the pandemic has been the final KO blow. It has hit our
> little town hard
>         and we have not been able to recover from it.
>         As of Tuesday, 11/24/20 17:00 EST ZaReason is no longer in
> business.").
>

> Sad.

Indeed! I bought my first ZaReason machine in ~2011, and bought several in the
intervening years--
including laptops, desktops, small servers, large servers..., and they were
always a joy:
even fairly exotic requests like "could you install Debian on it with RAID-5
across 4 disks and LVM on top of that,
and with an initial user login named suchandsuch" were things that they'd
happily do as part of their setup.

They'd send photos of new laptops when I asked what the access-panels on the
bottom looked like before ordering.

And I even have a nice little ZaReason-branded phillips-head screwdriver that
they send to make DIY hardware-upgrades extra easy.

--
Connect with me on the GNU social network!
<https://status.hackerposse.com/rozzin>