This Tuesday, I attended a meeting of the school tech coordinators in
Exeter which had as the primary topic Linux and open source software.

It was amazing.  In Exeter they have a professional development center
with 30 computers running  Linux Terminal Server and they are opening a
Charter School which will be using Linux exclusively.  Other schools are
moving forward with major Linux and Open source initiatives and the
state DOE seems to be interested as well.  Several participants ran
Linux on a variety of laptops including Apples and many are uniformly
installing and using Open Office in place of MS Office for office
machines.  It appeared the E-Smith server package is becoming the tool
of choice to use in installing and setting up servers in schools.

The consensus of may participants was to get people using Open
Source cross platform applications and then they can more easily be
moved over to Linux which is one reason why promoting Open source
on windows is beneficial to the adoption of Linux

I think it is fair to say thinks are moving forward at a very rapid rate
and it would be nice if GNHLUG could find a way to facilitate and assist
this activity.  From my perspective, the lack of organization and
coordinated activities, as much as that might work internally and among
ourselves,  is a major limiting factor when dealing other organizations.
 I feel GNHLUG is for this reason, as perhaps it should be, more a small
and loose collection of kindred spirit Linux users as opposed to an
organization which also engages in activities for its promotion and
education about its use.

On a side note, shortly around a dozen libraries and other computer
access centers in the norther part of the state will soon have large
collections of Opens Source software for loan and use.

Ed Lawson