Ted Roche wrote:

| On Oct 18, 2005, at 5:42 PM, Ben Scott wrote:
|
|>   Okay, so assuming everybody likes the idea, the next question is,
|> how do we begin setting this up?  I'd like this to be as much of a
|> "group effort" as possible.  Partly because I'm not familiar with some
|> of the software we need, partly because I'm only one person, but
|> mostly because it's just the Right Thing to do.  Aside from the
|> transparency aspect (I'm sure we're all aware of where I stand on
|> *that*), I think it could be a great learning experience for members
|> of the group, myself included.  I'd like to see learning available to
|> others.
|
| It sounds like a call for interest on the -announce list.

I would heartily recommend a brief message to the -discuss list
instead of the -announce list that points them to an appropriate
"top-level/project" page on the twiki.

| I have no objection to posting the whole discussion to the main
| -discuss list, maybe with a subject flag like [Web] or something.
| However, others may object to the increased traffic. I find the
| constant splintering of mailing lists more annoying than increased
| traffic on a list. How many  -discuss, -announce, -org, -jobs lists
| do we need?

We maybe could use the mailman topics feature, but only after we move
the mailman lists to the new server (and the latest version of mailman
that really supports topics).

| Also, establish a page on the wiki off of which you can branch the
| various discussions, plans, configurations.
|
|>   As far as calling for volunteers to help out, I'm contemplating just
|> posting an announcement to -discuss to see who might be interested.
|> What are people's thoughts on that?
|
| Post an announcement to... -announce. That repeats on -discuss also
| and may bring in a few subscribers only on -announce.

I don't think this is something appropriate for the -announce list,
but I'm easy to overrule. People interested in helping out would be on
the -discuss list anyway.

You may want to post a synopsis of the discussion, or put all the mail
messages into one (digest style) to sum up the situation for anyone
interested in volunteering.

- --Bruce