From: Ed Lawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Dec 20, 2005 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: The next big event?
To: Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: GNHLUG <gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org>

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:25:35 -0500
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 Normally, that would be a no-brainer, except that:

1. Some local chapter leaders have already planned their
schedule
around the idea that a big event was taking place in January.
Significantly changing the date (e.g., to mid-Feb or later)
might be
an issue.

I think it very important that the local chapter people be able
to rely upon dates and plans so they do not have to alter their
programs and dates.  Their getting yanked around could be deadly
for their chapters.
2. The joint ACM/IEEE thing.  Their schedule might not be as
flexible.

for starters, I do not think it a good thing to make plans with
another organization and then go back and say "King's X" or
whatever.  Hopefully they are not relying upon the specifics as
originally proposed and a alternate presentation can be
prepared.

 Exaclty how far along did the joint meeting idea go?

 These problems may not be an issue.  Maybe the IEEE thing is
vaporware,

Sometimes vaporware is a good thing.

But do we have a backup plan for our backup plan?

I believe it is also a good thing to have a presentation or two
in the can for use when the original plans fall apart.  Seems
that with all the people we have that should not be hard.

I mean just think of the possibilities for Ben to talk. <g>
Seriously, I believe there is enough talent to enable GNHLUG to
always have a presentation ready on relatively short notice if
needed.  Isn't that why we have a list of presenters or
presentations somewhere on the website?

Ed Lawson