On 12/28/05, Zhao Peng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Right now I'm having Red Hat Enterprise AS installed on my desktop
> computer (which has only one hard drive). I'm wondering if I can also
> put Fedora on it so that I can dual boot from either Red Hat Enterprise
> AS or Fedora.

  To amplify and expand on what has already been posted:

  Yes, you can do this.  The general approach is to have at least one
partition for each installation.  You can optionally share some
partitions (/home and swap being the most popular) between both
installations as well.

  There is no need to use multiple disks, but you can go that route if
you so choose.  From the standpoint of dual-booting, it does not
matter whether these various partitions are on one disk or many disks.
 Adding a new disk does eliminate the need to resize existing
partitions, which may be appealing.

  The GRUB boot loader (which I assume you are using) can handle
multiple installations, disks, partitions, and other complexities just
fine.  So you can have your RHEL boot files on one partition, your FC
boot files on another, and GRUB can pick from either one.

  I'm not sure, but I think Anaconda (the Red Hat/Fedora installer) is
smart enough to detect the existing installation and build a unified
boot menu for you.

  One tricky bit might be kernel upgrades.  When you install a new
kernel package, normally the post-install script updates the grub.conf
file for you.  At least one of the two installations will likely need
to be manually pointed at the proper grub.conf file for that to
continue working.

  If you want further assistance, it would help if you posted a copy
of your partition layout.  The easiest way to do that is to run the
command

fdisk -l

as "root" and post the output.

  Hope this helps!