I have never done anything with CafePress, but I imagine, as you do,
that there is a significant part of the money that goes to the company
for the work they do.

Also, I have not been impressed with their products.  A beer mug that
the Ohio Linux Fest people had them do had the logo as small and put on
the beer mug crooked.

I question the number of people that would buy "GNHLUG things" as a
money-making thing, particularly if it was just our logo on some item.
It would be different if we came up with something really "cute" that
people liked, and attracted sales from outside our group.

My "embroidery guy" (Embroidme on Rt 101A next to the Subway store in
Nashua) charges $75 to digitize a jpeg file, after that you basically
pay for the item plus the thread and set-up.  When I supplied the item,
he put a logo of a penguin on the item for about $5. each.

Recently I bought some really nice golf shirts from them for about $25.
each with the Linux International logo on them.  Not cheap.

I do not recommend "stocking" anything.  The stuff gets old, "shopworn",
obsolete, lost, etc.  The person who ran Embroidme before this guy was
willing to take orders and "drop ship".

md