On Nov 6, 2007, at 09:14, Ben Scott wrote:

>   "Robert's Rules of Order" is a book which documents a full system of
> parliamentary procedure.  Note that it's not the only such book.  RROR
> spells out quite a few things (including something like 12 different
> kinds of motions) which I believe would be overkill for us.  On the
> other hand, I believe a total lack of formal procedure isn't good
> either.

IIRC, RROR can run well into the 300 page mark, depending on
typesetting.

Most groups of which I'm a member use the "short-short
version" (apologies to Mel Brooks), consisting of:

calling the meeting to order
old/new business, including:
   officer reports
   reading of minutes
   accepting the above
using the motion/second/additional discussion/all those in favor
method for discussion/resolutions
moving to adjourn the meeting

The primary benefit is that nobody feels they didn't have a chance to
speak, and there's a clear log of accountability in the minutes.  The
process among friendly crowds feels pretty democratic.

We did some of this at the Board meeting, and I think it worked out
just fine.

-Bill

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/