On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 6:46 AM, Jim Kuzdrall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Didn't he talk on SELinux here before?

  Yup.  On 20 July 2006.

Notes: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.gnhlug/6371

Slides: http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/pub/Www/PastEvents/Summit2006SELinux.odp

>  For this time, what about suggesting he concentrate his talk on
>  defining an optimum home-office system and the steps in setting it up.

  Well, from what I understand:

  SELinux is a big complicated beast, and setting it up from scratch
isn't really something for mere mortals to attempt.  (I looked at the
SELinux config files.  Once.  *shudder*)  So distribution builders --
in particular, Red Hat/Fedora -- have taken it upon themselves to do
the dirty work for us.  The result is something that's designed to
help restrict services/daemons/etc to just the files they need, so
that a security hole in them is limited in scope.

  So presently, SELinux is not typically used for access control with
individual people -- the regular Unix permissions model suffices for
that.  Thus, one doesn't use SELinux in one's home directory (unless
services are using files there).

  The issues with SELinux arise when one wants to integrate
third-party (i.e., not included in the distro) software, or do
something else the distro didn't foresee.  So a lot of people
(especially software authors) recommend just turning SELinux off as a
matter of course.  That's obviously sub-optimal from a security
standpoint.  Dan's goal is to instead teach us how to diagnose
problems, and tweak the SELinux configuration to work.

  Of course, I could be way off.  :)

-- Ben