Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2008, at 09:03, Bill Ricker wrote:
>
>> Are the LUGs/LoCo doing anything around USENIX Boston this month?
>
> FYI, I just checked on the corporate rates and they are:
>
>    6' display table: $3000
>    tote bag insert (1 page): $1,000
>    Advertising in the Conference On-site Guide full page ad: $1,000;
> half page ad: $600

Yeah, not a cheap way to attend the conference.

> Would anybody like to contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] and see if they
> have a local-nonprofit-package?

I think we have some pretty good contacts if you'd really like to offer
to do something. Some of our affiliate members are, or were, USENIX
veterans and could probably get us in touch with the folks who make the
decisions (vice the ones who answer email aliases). What would you like
to propose?

This is the first I'd heard of the conference (not of USENIX, of course,
just this event). If you'd like to act as point person to coordinate
coverage for a booth, this is certainly something we could probably drum
up some support for, get some handouts, loan out the banner, etc. But
I'm not sure this is where I'd want to concentrate my efforts. It feels
a bit like preaching to the choir. And I'm not sure a booth presence
adds all that much value. This isn't a crowd likely to be amazed by
TuxRacer or even Maya on Linux. The tote bag insert seems like a better
use of time and effort, though certainly not money. I'd be glad to
contribute a lovely DTP'd page for USENIX to include for the benefit of
their members, but not at a cost.

> I think we're complementary to USENIX; I announce their events at
> DLSLUG for free.  If they think we're competition, that could be
> interesting.  In that case, I'll happily return their requests for
> announcements with our for-profit-user-group announcement rate
> schedule next time. ;)

;) Would be nice if someone paid, but...

My experience in talking with some other local conferences is that they
were covering their costs to have tables set up, electrified and rental
expenses in quoting a price for booth space. This is how vendors help
defray the costs of the conference. The idea of not-for-profit volunteer
organizations adding to the value of their conference is an alien one to
most event organizers I've spoke with. Some random hippies want to walk
in off the street, take over a booth and preach "Freedom" isn't their
typical customer. If there's a DotOrg Pavilion like Linux World, maybe,
but if there are glittering booths from HP and IBM, Computer Associates
and Oracle, a couple UG volunteers in a booth with a laptop looks a bit
out of place.

I'd suggest, if we're trying to calculate cost and effort vs. results,
we'd be a lot better off finding out if any members are going and
locations, e.g., bulletin boards.
-

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC