Derek,
        Maybe you are looking at this the wrong way. Maybe you shouldn't be
looking for something that *Linux* is lacking, but rather, find
something that is lacking from OTHER OS's, and do it for Linux before
they have it for anything else. What would be something really cool to
have, reguardless of the OS? Also, what are *YOUR* areas of interest?
Just a thought,
Kenny