Just throwing in my two cents as a VERY new user of Linux...

        I've been listening to all the arguments about Windows vs. Linux,
and they all seem dead-on.  However, I think the reason why techies who
tout Linux are "missing the point" is because they keep saying things
like, "Linux will replace Windows", and "Let's see Linux on every
desktop".  That was Microsoft's problem from the start!!!  Instead of
trying for world domination, let's try for world
interoperability.  Breaking Microsoft's monopoly IS a good thing, though,
and hopefully will lead to several more OSes that will let people pick and
choose, and be real consumers.  THAT should be the real goal.
        Ha... and if anyone wants to ask an "end user" a question, or see
how it is transferring from Windows to Linux, just ask me within the next
several weeks, when I start installing it on a personal machine... :)

 - The Linux newbie

--
Dana S. Tellier                                 Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Student Engineer                                   University of New Hampshire