Hello all,

I thought I would announce that on Thursday, Feb. 24, from 12:30-2:00 PM,
I will be giving a presentation on the philosophy behind the free software
movement. I'm doing it for the student chapter of the ACM at UNH, and I'm
an undergraduate there studying Computer Science that's facinated by the
free software movement. Here is the description that I have on flyers for
the event:

FREE SOFTWARE - IT'S ABOUT FREEDOM

A presentation on the philosophy behind the Free Software Movement, given
by Scott Garman. Find out more about the ideas and ideals motivating
programmers to give the source code and rights to distribute their
software without restriction.

Examine recent developments in intellectual property and patent laws that
threaten the freedoms of computer users worldwide. This talk is sure to be
an exciting, controversial event!

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 24, FROM 12:30-2:00 PM, KINGSBURY HALL ROOM M227.

For those of you already familiar with the different ideologies driving
the Free Software movement, I will admit that my talk will be very
Stallman-esque. In fact, I decided to do it after trying to get Richard
Stallman to come and talk, but he wanted too much money. I will also be
talking about UCITA, the proposed law that could become a major stumbling
block to the future of free software. I hope to have a transcript of the
speech on-line within a few days of the event. I'll post the URL here when
it gets on the web.

If you'll be in the Durham, NH area, come by and check it out! There will
be free pizza and soda for those who show up on time. Another note: M227
is the room in the "Math wing" of Kingsbury, which is closest to Morse
Hall, where previous GNHLUG meetings have been held. This talk is in no
way related to or supported by GNHLUG, I just thought it would be of
interest to the group members to announce it here.

Thanks for reading,

Scott Garman

--
Scott A. Garman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                GnuPG (PGP) public key available