Paul Lussier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Anyone know if NT can authenticate against NIS?  I need to set up a new NT
> domain which requires inter-domain trusts, which Samba doesn't yet support. I
> don't want to have to create a whole bunch of NT accounts for all my users,
> and then have to keep 2 sets of accounts up to date.
>
> --
>
> Seeya,
> Paul
> ----
>     Doing something stupid always costs less (up front) than doing
>                         something intelligent.
>                   Bean counters are *always* wrong!
>   A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.
>          If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

There is something called 'nisgina' which is available over the net
and can do this. Also, SAMBA is supposed to be able to some kind
of PC authentication. I'll be looking into the SAMBA option more closely
myself. I have a bunch of NT4 PCs in Bangalore India using nisgina to
authenticate to SUN450 running Solaris with NIS. It works and even does
roaming profiles. I'm not sure how actively it is being developed,
especially since SAMBA is  doing this type of stuff (only not with NIS)

--
 | 0|___||.   Andrew Gaunt ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
_| _| : : }   *nix System Administrator, etc. Lucent Technologies
 -(O)-==-o\   http://www-cde.mv.lucent.com/~quantum (Lucent intranet)