Benjamin Scott wrote:

>   I don't suppose you have any log file output from the client and server that
> might explain why you couldn't mount any filesystems?

Hrrm, a quick check of the client revealed these spooky looking messages:

Feb 11 09:15:54 sublime kernel: nfs: server firewall not responding, still trying
Feb 11 09:36:48 sublime kernel: nfs_read_super: get root fattr failed

Wow, I missed these in my servers log file:

Feb 10 10:53:35 firewall mountd[414]: mount request from unknown host 192.168.1.101
Feb 10 10:54:03 firewall mountd[414]: export request from 192.168.1.101
Feb 10 10:54:23 firewall mountd[414]: mount request from unknown host 192.168.1.101
Feb 10 10:54:50 firewall last message repeated 3 times
Feb 10 10:54:58 firewall mountd[414]: export request from 192.168.1.101
Feb 10 10:55:07 firewall mountd[414]: mount request from unknown host 192.168.1.101

(even though these dates don't look like they match up, they match very closely.
The time on my server system is very skewed and I haven't gotten around to
adjusting it :)

Now that I think about it, I had just recently switched over my domain to
linux.bogus and removed all the entries from my /etc/hosts file (to be served
by named) hmmmm... maybe the server wasn't able to do reverse DNS lookups
for some reason. (even though named didn't print any errors to the log)

> You don't say what distribution or
> kernel you are using, but on Red Hat Linux 6.1, you have to do:

Oops, Redhat 6.0, with a stock kernel (and stock everything else too).

> /etc/rc.d/init.d/netfs stop     # unmount network file systems
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfslock stop   # shutdown NFS locking/status layer
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs stop       # shutdown main NFS layer
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap stop   # shutdown RPC portmapper
> sync                            # you can't sync too often
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap start
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs start
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfslock start
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/netfs start

I didn't run 'netfs stop'.  (redhat 6.0 doesn't have an nfslock)

> > I looked up the ports via netstat, and there was nothing unusual.
>
>   What netstat command did you use?  I recommend
>
>         netstat -aptuw

I used netstat -ap (but I like the tuw, that's pretty handy).  I believe nfs
uses port 2049, which was definitely not listed in the output.

> > So I went hog wild, and stoped the nfs services, and the portmaper, and
> > unloaded all the kernel modules relating to NFS (nfsd lockd sunrpc),
> > figuring that would definitely do it ... nope.
>
>   Perhaps you did it out of order?  I'm not entirely sure what happens in that
> case.

Yeah, I probably did do it out of order, and I'm sure it didn't help that I
forget to stop netfs.

>   Did you try a "ps aux" to see what was running?

Sure did.

If this happens again in six months I'll figure it out instead of relying
on the hail mary reboot ;)  (it was probably a wetware failure anyway)

Thanks for the help.

-Matt

--
Matthew W. Herbert   x75764