On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Adam Wendt wrote:
> I've never partitioned/resized my hard drive in linux before but I want to so
> I'm looking for suggestions on what the best (most stable) linux app is for
> resizeing partitions.

  Linux app?  As in *native*?  Ummm... wait a year or so.  At least.  :(

  I recommend Partition Magic from PowerQuest Corp.  Yes, it's a commercial
product for Microsoft OSes.  *boo* *hiss*  But it *works*, and fantastically,
where as with every other partitioning program -- *including Linux's fdisk* --
I've encountered at least one bug that rewrites the partition table in a
format that another OS chokes on.

  I'm sorry, but when it comes to my partition table, I pick the best product
out there, and RMS can go suck an egg.  :-)  :-)

  PM will resize and move DOS FAT12/16/32, OS/2 HPFS, WinNT NTFS, Linux ext2,
and Linux swap partitions.  That is resize -- non-destructively.  It also
includes the best GUI I've ever seen for managing partitions.  *Finally*, a
company that understands what an extended partition is!  :-)  I have *never*
lost data with PM, which is a hell of a lot more then I can say for Linux's
fdisk program.

  The Linux portions of PM4.0 were written by none other then Ted T'so, the
current ext2 filesystem maintainer and kernel hacker.  He probably knows as
much about ext2 as any other human being in existence.

  You can usually find PM 4.0 for as cheap as $30 or so, if you hunt around.
For that price, you can't beat it.

  PM4.0 also includes, on the CD-ROM, floppy diskette images which can be used
to produce a bootable, self-hosting copy of Partition Magic.  They did this
explicitly for Linux users.  Those floppies are part of my emergency kit.
There isn't much that makes that list.

  They also have a "resize2fs" utility available, which is a native Linux
program (i386).  It only resizes ext2 filesystems, it doesn't handle swap, it
doesn't manipulate the partition table, it doesn't move partitions, and the UI
sucks.  I rather get the feeling it was a proof-of-concept for a possible
future Linux-specific product, but that's just my guess.

  End of tirade.  Hope this helps.  ;-)

--
Ben Scott
[EMAIL PROTECTED]