On 11 Apr, Paul Lussier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to probe the SCSI bus under Linux?  I know it gets probed at
> boot time, but I need to re-probe periodically after the system's booted.
>
> Derek mentioned something called SuperProbe, but that's evidently part of the
> X Windows package.  I know X can do a lot, but I didn't think it cared much
> about SCSI hardware :)
>
> Thanks,

SuperProbe is only for monitor dot clocks, and has nothing whatsoever
to do with the SCSI bus.

I've looked into this before; there is some documentation in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/scsi.c:

    /*
     * Usage: echo "scsi add-single-device 0 1 2 3" >/proc/scsi/scsi
     * with  "0 1 2 3" replaced by your "Host Channel Id Lun".
     * Consider this feature BETA.
     *     CAUTION: This is not for hotplugging your peripherals. As
     *     SCSI was not designed for this you could damage your
     *     hardware !
     * However perhaps it is legal to switch on an
     * already connected device. It is perhaps not
     * guaranteed this device doesn't corrupt an ongoing data transfer.
     */

Additionally, the SCSI-Programming-HOWTO has a note which indicates
that this will only work for two devices, as there is only enough
memory reserved at boot time for two devices beyond what is detected at
boot time.

There was also a note on some mailing list archive that I found on a
Google search that indicated that devfs fixed some potential problems
with changing device names when doing this.
--
Stephen Ryan                                        Debian GNU/Linux
Technology Coordinator