csmith writes:

> I have no printer on my linux machines, so I emailed my self a copy of a
> man page  so that I could print it out, buyt guess what all I got was
> for the most part unreadable trash.  is there any way to force this man
> page into a stright asci text file so that I can read it in printed
> form.

If you sent yourself the actual nroff code,

  nroff -man your-manual-page-file
  nroff -man your-manual-page-file | more
  nroff -man your-manual-page-file | lpr

Might do what you want.

Otherwise, if you sent yourself the output of this process, you might
be able to just run this stuff through "more" or "lpr" and expect to
see something reasonable.

There's also some elisp code for emacs that handles man pages very
well; in fact, most of the man pages I read are from underneath this
interface.  This mode automagically takes out most of the
backspace-underbar (^H_) stuff that you're probably seeing in your
file.  If you're familiar with emacs you can type things like

      M-x manual-entry ls

or

      M-x manual-entry write(2)

I hope this helps,

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
ADVERTISEMENT:  On Sunday May 7th, I'm riding my bicycle 100 miles