On Fri, 19 May 2000, Benjamin Scott wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:55:07 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Benjamin Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Greater NH Linux Users' Group <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: MSFT admits Linux is better ;-)
>
> Hi all,
>
>   While looking for information on the "NewLove" variant of the LoveLetter
> worm, I came across this page on Microsoft's site:
>
>       http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/policy.asp
>
> I quote:
>
>       No vendor can develop security patches overnight.
>
>   That's pretty significant, since in many cases, Open Source Software *does*
> have security patches developed overnight.  In fact, they often don't take
> that long.  Patches for over-sized IP datagrams appeared in less then *two
> hours* for Linux.  It took Microsoft more like a month to release their
> patches.

I saw a patch on the kernel list that was about as quick as you could
get:  Alan Cox reported the problem and the patch in the same e-mail.
Of course, that was Alan.

>   So, there you have it.  Direct from the horse's mouth.  Microsoft admits
> Linux fixes security bugs faster then they can.

And, of course, we fix them RIGHT.  I believe it was TEARDROP, Linux
patched to stop the cause of the attack, Windows patched to look for
the signature of TEARDROP.  So, TEARDROP2, Windows needs another
patch, Linux keeps on humming.

jeff

Jeffry Smith      Technical Sales Consultant     Mission Critical Linux
[EMAIL PROTECTED] phone:978.446.9166,x271 fax:978.446.9470
Thought for today:  The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that
science
requires reasoning while those other subjects merely require scholarship.
                -- Robert Heinlein