[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Benjamin Scott) writes:
> On Wed, 17 May 2000, Randy Edwards wrote:
>  > Running LILO now I get an error message about /dev/sda not being the
first
>  > drive (I'm not home so I don't have access to the text).  Tell me, does
>  > LILO read the BIOS to determine the boot sequence of hard drives?
>
>    I don't think it accesses the BIOS directly, as that would require
> switching
>  to real mode, which the Linux kernel doesn't do.  I think it uses a system
>  call to get BIOS info the kernel read at startup.

LILO doesn't use the BIOS boot sequence. The BIOS calls LILO.
The boot sequence in the CMOS, tells the BIOS where to find LILO.
By the time LILO starts, the boot sequence has already been done.

Remember, just because the boot sequence specifies C:, doesn't
mean the system has to be on C:. You can have Linux on your
SCSI drive, LILO on your IDE drive, and tell LILO to boot the
system it finds on your SCSI drive.
NOTE: I haven't tried this combination, but it should work.
If someone knows that this won't work, please correct me.

Bob Sparks
Linux enthusiast (sounds better than loud mouthed fanatic)