On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Chad R. Henry wrote:
> Anyone using the Cobalt Qube?

  Yes.  Not me, but an associate.  Maybe not that exact model.  I think she
said it was a Raq 2...?  Same thing in a different form-factor, maybe?  (I
didn't actually see it; just worked on it remotely.)

  Cobalt's web site wasn't too bad when I tried it.  You might want to try
looking for info there.

> How modified is the Linux OS running on it?

  Well, for starters, it is a MIPS processor, so in many ways it is really
different from what most are used to.  I don't know how much patching Cobalt
has done to make it work.  One side-effect of this is, even though Cobalt's
distro is RPM-based, you'll likely have to compile software you add from
sources, as MIPS is an unusual platform for Linux.

> I understand the interface is through a web browser - any problems with
> this style interface?  Limitations?

  The web interface is actually pretty slick, as such things go.  But, if it
isn't good enough for you, you can get a Unix shell prompt via a local port.
You can also telnet in.  I would highly recommend installing SSH if you plan
on regular remote access, though.

> And do you know if you can have multiple Ethernet ports from this box?

  This I have no idea about.  These "appliance" machines don't tend to have
much in the way of expansion capability.  I'm guessing you'll have issues,
even if it has standard PCI slots, though.  Low-level driver code tends to be
non-portable.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Net Technologies, Inc. <http://www.ntisys.com>