I believe you need to use ttyS2 instead of ttys2 or cua2 - note that the
'S' is capitalized.

If you use minicom (or cu, or any other serial port access program), can
you type "AT" and see a response? If not (and you know that the modem is
good), then try another port - from /dev/ttyS0 to /dev/ttyS3.

If you get garbage, you have the wrong speed or wrong parity or word
size.
If you get erratic data, then you probably have a device conflict.

If you have no response, or an OS error message, then you have a bogus
modem.
(Bad modem or a modem that requires "non-standard" drivers). There's
also the
possibility that the switch settings on the board are wrong - but you'll
need
the board's documentation to diagnose that - if the board has
jumpers/switches.

--Bruce