I'm looking at kernel code (linux-2.4.0-test5 FWIW) that
handles serial communications and I see (what seems to
be) almost random redundancy and overlap among the above
mentioned structs, so before I injure myself trying to
figure out the alleged logic behind their existence,
layout and intended use I was hoping that somebody here
might point me at a clue or two...

BTW, checkout http://lxr.linux.no/ident for a slick
cross-referenced Linux sourcecode navigator...