Guys, I have a question that some here may be able to assist with.
Basically, it revolves around the Linux kernel, and adding the capability for a
very large number of simo IP connections.  We need to be able to have a linux
box support up to and hopefully over 20k simo TCP connections.  You can see a
copy of the challange we've issues at http://jabber.org/article/34.html.  The
biggest issue here is, we'd like to try to decrease the amount of RAM required
to host this many sockets.  Nearly every other OS we've compiled and tested on
can do it.  Basically, we have many persistant sockets, all of which are, for
the most part, idle.  Yes, I know, UDP, etc, instead, we've all had the
arguments.  For now, the persistant sockets are required.  The question ends up
being, can we make a Linux kernel support 20k TCP connections, without
requiring the kernel to consuming anywhere from 400 Megs to over a gig of ram?
Is it possible to decrease the size of the buffers a given socket uses, and
hence, decrease the required memory?

  Feel free to give me any input, and I can forward it on to the rest of the
team, or send it directly to the email address on the above noted web page..

---
Thomas Charron
<< Wanted: One decent sig >>
<< Preferably litle used  >>