On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Jeffry Smith wrote:

> Even better, TAKE IT OFF THE SYSTEM!  Code that isn't on the system
> isn't a security risk (i.e. they can't somehow turn it on).

Nah...  I agree in principle but if they've compromised the system and
gotten shell access, it's a simple matter to install via rpm or apt-get on
the vast majority of Linux systems.  Not worth worrying about.

> Build a custom install with the kernel stripped to the absolute
> essential services.  Even better, build into the kernel what you need,
> and turn off module support (so they can't do an insmod / modprobe to
> insert malicious code).

This I agree with wholeheartedly.

--
We sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
Was it just imagination stringing us along?