That frood Benjamin Scott sassed:

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Greg Kettmann wrote:
> > It's mandatory that I pass through Windows, due to a VPN program issue.
> > When I copy the files over to Winblows it loses the symbolic links.
>
>   Yes.  Windows does not support the concept of a filesystem symlink at all,
> and of course Unix permissions do not map to Windows NT ACLs very well (if at
> all).  You cannot really blame Windows for this; it just has a different
> feature set.  Linux does a lousy job with ACLs and Unicode filenames, for
> example.

I keep hearing that from different people.  I have never encountered a
situation where the standard Unix permission scheme was inadequate.
It may require a little bit of thought, and it may require some
flexibility from your developers/employees/whatever (in terms of the
way they think about HOW they do things), but there's always a way.  I
see no need for extended ACLs.

=8^)

--
We sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
Was it just imagination stringing us along?