On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:

> I probably should have explained better.... on RH7.OH!, gcc is gcc
> v2.96, which is a development version that should have never been
> released to the wild.

At the risk of starting a flaim war....that's not fair. We can argue about
it's releasability (not sure that's really a real word!), but the fact
remains that the numbers of bugs fixed in 2.96 is massive, and the
kernel not compiling properly is something the kernel guys need to (and
have for 2.2.18pre) fix. You also need to remember that Linux!=i386, and
the other archs (Sparc and especially Alpha) benefit greatly from this
change to the compiler.

> However, in the goodness of their heart, RedRat
> also supplied the stable version of gcc and renamed it kgcc (kernel
> gcc).

I do agree they went about it the wrong way...gcc should be egcs 1.1.2
(gcc 2.91) and possibly egcc (experimental gcc ??) should be 2.96, but of
course, that's just my opinion :)

--rdp

> Kenny
>
> Paul Lussier wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:16:19 EST
> > "Kenneth E. Lussier" said:
> >
> > >Do a `make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install CC=kgcc`
> >
> > Ahh, I knew there must be a way, I just couldn't remember what it was.

Rich Payne
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   www.alphalinux.org