Well, you don't mention which notebook, so I can't speak definitively, but
my notebook does the same thing -- it's a feedback problem with the sound
card.  To quote from the OSS sound driver folk:
"Also if you get a high pitched whininig sound, then simply type ossmix
mic 0 to turn off the mic input. This noise is due to a feedback loop."
[Note that the "oss mic 0" bit is only for OSS drivers...]

In other words, disable your microphone to make the noise go away, and
then troubleshoot it from there, assuming you want to use your mic.

HTH,

-Ken