the only one inference i could make is that the the RH 7.0
distro was built using this so called "Broken" compiler, so
in essence linus is saying dont trust this release due to
binary compatibility issues and the fact the compiler is
broken, in regards to the dev. gcc 2.96, although i have not
seen "any" real problems with RH7.0 myself, but then again i
have not done extensive testing of apps/kernels built using
this compiler.

just my 2 cents + interest   Rob F.

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-12-14-002-21
-NW-RH-SW