Yep, it's due to Outlook's brain-damage.  The default is HTML, and outlook
encapsulates that whole thing into "winmail.dat."  I believe there is software
out there to correct the problem, or you can tell the people to re-send in
plain text.

Found one for Netscape at least:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/fentun/?highlig
ht=winmail.dat

Microsoft calls the encapsulation Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format
(TNEF), another Microsoft "standard"

> hey all - i really really like pine.  its nifty :-)  one problem
> tho.  whenever anyone sends me mail from outlook express pine dosen't
> display the message.  Anyone had similar problems..i'm using version
> 4.21..so the version thati have isn't too old....

jeff
Jeffry Smith      Technical Sales Consultant     Mission Critical Linux
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   phone:603.930.9739 fax:978.446.9470
Thought for today:  sys-frog /sis'frog/ n.

 [the PLATO system] Playful variant
   of `sysprog', which is in turn short for `systems programmer'.