Jeffry Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Now Abiword 0.7.12 is out - see site shown.  They even include debs!

I'm glad they are thinking about Debian, but I was not able to use
their debs.  The installation notes say they should work in a Slink
system, but they are linked against shared libraries (e.g. xlibs
4.0.1) that are not in Woody, let alone Potato or Slink.  Here was
dpkg's report:

  # dpkg -i abiword_0.7.12_i386.deb
  (Reading database ... 65563 files and directories currently installed.)
  Preparing to replace abiword 0.7.12 (using abiword_0.7.12_i386.deb) ...
  Unpacking replacement abiword ...
  dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of abiword:
   abiword depends on libc6 (>= 2.1.97); however:
    Version of libc6 on system is 2.1.3-10.
   abiword depends on libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2; however:
    Package libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 is not installed.
   abiword depends on xlibs (>= 4.0.1-1); however:
    Package xlibs is not installed.
  dpkg: error processing abiword (--install):
   abiword

I decided to get the sources.  Their source download directory only
has versions up to 0.7.11.  I found later sources at
http://www.abisource.com/~sam/nightly/, and tried to build them.  The
attempt failed like this:

  ie_exp_MsWord_97.cpp:
  In file included from ie_exp_MsWord_97.cpp:274:
  ie_exp_MsWord_97.h:28: exporter/wvexporter.h: No such file or
  directory

Oh, well - "nightly builds" are not guaranteed to work.

I guess I'll try downloading the statically linked binaries.  I wish I
had a faster connection :-).

                            - Jim Van Zandt