On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, VIncce McHugh wrote:

>   I am looking for tips and recommendations on setting
> it up. I know Linux will run on it I tested it on a
> similar laptop. I will need to do 2 partitions, a 2
> gig for LINUX and a 4 gig for Windows (either ME or
> 2K).

Windows 2000 (akin to NT) could give you some issues; only recently have I
had reasonably good luck doing dual-boot with NT and/or 2000 -- if you're
seriously considering 2000, you may want to do a little more research,
first.

>   First Question is what is the best order to do this
> in? I was planning on setting up my two partitions and
> then should I load Linux first? How will that affect
> Windows need to be on the primary partition?

No -- it's far, far better to do it (at least for ME) as follows:

- Install Windows, creating your 4 GB Windows partition, and leaving the
  rest unallocated.

- Install Linux, breaking the remaining 2 GB into two partitions: one
  for your stock, almost-two-gig ext2 partition, and the remainder for
  your swap partition.

While doing the Linux install, most all distributions will be able to see
that Windows was already installed on the primary partition, and will set
up LILO such that you can choose between the two, and set one or the other
as your system's boot default.

Again, if you're using 2000, you may want to get more details either on
here, or from one of the many multiboot FAQs or HOWTOs.  I've had some bad
luck with LILO and NTFS, so what I usually do in those cases is:

- Install NT (or 2000)
- Install Linux
 - During the Linux install, make sure to create the boot floppy, AND
 - also be sure to point LILO to the Linux partition, not the MBR.

With this done, you can then use DD to create a 256-byte copy of the LILO
stuff, and bring that to the NT partition, and edit your boot.ini file
such that it can kick off either NT or, via the LILO file, Linux.  It
sounds somewhat complicated, but it's really fairly straightforward, and,
if you're interested, I can go and dig up the details.  Note, again, that
this is only applicable to NT or 2000.

HTH,

-Ken