My wife and I are doing some self-education on modest home automation (basic
lighting, A/V control & security combined).  Although there are several
companies that sell "brain" units, I would prefer to use a PC based control
system, but this is a new area to me.  From some web searches, I have
already found some Linux based software (some open source, some $$ ) and am
trying to learn the ropes of X10 and similar systems.

My question for the group would be if anyone out there has any personal
experience in this area that they would not mind sharing (via email or, even
better, face to face).  We are planning to build a home this spring / summer
and I would like to incorporate the home automation into the process.  I'm a
competent C / C++ programmer and *nix scripter, and am learning Java at this
time, so I'm open to learn about any Linux based software out there, gui or
no gui.

Thanx in advance for any help!   :-)
-Larry