On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Derek Martin wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:
> >
> > > This isn't the sort of thing that I would ever consider outsourcing.
> > > People keep too much in their pilots these days, and I wouldn't want to
> > > see them accidentially throwing confidential contacts, etc. up to some
> > > website that I didn't control. It would a complete disreguard of any
> > > security practice.
> >
> > While I certainly commend your caution, it's pretty much a fact of life
> > that more and more of our day-to-day services will be offered through the
> > Internet.
>
> That doesn't mean you need to USE them.  It's your choice.

Cars kill millions of people every year. Fortunately we don't HAVE TO use
them.

Electricity can kill you. Fortunately, you don't HAVE TO use it.

Sysadmins can often attack the very users they are trying to help.
Fortunately, you don't HAVE TO... um, nevermind.

Life is all about risk management, trading off perceived benefits for
possible threats. I don't have to use E-Trade, but I can't bear the
thought of dealing with a broker every time I want to trade a stock. The
perceived benefit for me far outweighs the possible risk.

I hate going back and forth with you guys, because you ARE RIGHT. I
completely agree with you (and Kenny). I just feel I should point out your
tolerance level for risk may not be the same as someone else. As you said
"it's your choice".

--
Niall Kavanagh, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
News, articles, and resources for web professionals and developers: