In a message dated: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:09:09 EST
"Ken D'Ambrosio" said:

>Uh, uh -- no beer.  You explained what the *fields* do; I want to know
>what *flags* to put in said fields.

Well, the flags to put in the respective fields are completely dependant upon
what you are trying to do.  Knowing what fields to put where, comes from the
man pages.  I will grant that the man pages are not necessarilly crystal clear,
nor do the explanations contained therein necessarilly co-incide with what you
think you're looking for (IOW, in your mind you're looking for something that
does X, however, the explanation explains X by referring to concepts
to A, C, E, and F, which you don't realize are the concepts you're looking
for, so you gloss over them).

> Errr... I stand^H^H^H^Hit corrected.
>I'll attempt to weasel out by saying that the manpages on my older RH
>system aren't comprehensive for automount, but the manpages on the
>Mandrake 7.2 system I just installed have full manpages for both mount and
>automount.  Damn.  I guess I'll have to start perusing different
>distributions' manpages now, to see who's got the best.  Or is there a
>common repository in some mythical Avalon for The Latest manpages for
>Linux?

There is a manpages tarball somewhere, I've always just used what comes
with my distribution, which today is Debian.

As for automount, if you really want to get a good understanding of this and
NFS as well, get the O'Reilly book on NFS/NIS.  It's quite dated at this point,
and really is quite Sun specific, however, it will give you a good
understanding of how it all works.  You can then translate that directly to
the Linux automounter (with the exception of direct maps, which it doesn't
support).

>Anyway, Paul, what's your favorite beer?  Time to pay the price of
>not trying hard 'nuff...

I'll take anything thick and dark, stouts, porters, etc. :)
--

Seeya,
Paul