On Mon, 28 May 2001, Jeffry Smith wrote:
> Benjamin Scott opined:
> >On 27 May 2001, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:
>
> >> Indeed, but it is entirely possible that one company will subcontract
> for
> >> Ah, you have illustrated my point nicely. Thank you ;-). Why hire
> >> Linux-specific company when you can hire a "GC" like Taos, Modis,
> >> Collective Technologies, etc.
> >
> >  My point was that many of *those* companies will look to outside companies
> >for their own specialized needs, just like the GC hires other companies.
> >
> >  Such support/administration companies are often more like a network of
> >consultants than a single company, anyway.  :-)
>
> YES!  Sorry for the shouting, but I come from the Government space.  Many
> IT contracts in gov't space that I have seen have what is called a Prime
> Contractor.  This is the company that contracts with the Government & does
> all the paperwork.  You'd be amazed at the number of these that do NOTHING
> ELSE.  ALL the work is subcontracted.  Their expertise?  Being the
> prime/dealing with the government (and, in some cases, being the
> minority/small business to get the contract).
>
> BTW:  You know Perot Systems, EDS, Andersen Consulting (Sorry -
> Accenture), etc?  Guess what?  Most of them subcontract the majority of
> the real work.  None of them does their own apps or OS's.  They may be
> able to handle basic admin work, but when it comes to bug-fixes or HW
> repair, they contract.

Not structly true with EDS anyway.  Those "contractors" are usually EDS
employees too.  EDS gets a customer, puts people on the account and then
recruits technical folk from the so called "resource centres" (and yes, they
spell it that way, makes 'em feel *international*).  Not all customers need a C
programmer all the time, but all the time some customers do.  That's what I do.
I get put on projects that usually last 6 months to a year and get renewed or
not.  In between I'm "on the bench".  My internal resume is just a list of
things I can do with a check box for whether I've ever actually done it.