Chad Henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Okay, call me slow, but I'm having trouble setting up Public Key
>access to OpenSSH on my RH 7.0 machine.

I'm also having trouble setting up SSH between two machines. At the
moment, it works one way but not the other.

Host "vanzandt" has this:
  vanzandt:~$ uname -a
  Linux vanzandt 2.4.2 #4 Sat Mar 3 21:34:20 EST 2001 i686 unknown
  vanzandt:~$ ssh -V
  SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.3, protocol version 1.5.
  Compiled with SSL.

Host "voyager" is set up this way:
  voyager:~$ uname -a
  Linux voyager 2.2.13 #1 Wed Dec 29 17:31:53 EST 1999 i586 unknown
  voyager:~$ ssh -V
  SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.3, protocol version 1.5.
  Compiled with SSL.

SSH works fine from vanzandt to voyager:
  vanzandt:~$ ssh voyager date
  Sun Mar 18 17:23:55 EST 2001

However, it fails the other way:
  voyager:~$ ssh vanzandt date
  ssh: vanzandt.mv.com: Name or service not known

The -v (verbose) option doesn't tell me anything useful:
  voyager:~$ ssh -v vanzandt date
  SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.3, protocol version 1.5.
  Compiled with SSL.
  debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
  debug: Applying options for *
  debug: ssh_connect: getuid 501 geteuid 0 anon 0
  ssh: vanzandt.mv.com: Name or service not known

Note that the negotiation never gets to the point of authentication.

inetd does not handle ssh:
  vanzandt:/var/log# grep ssh /etc/services /etc/inetd.conf
  /etc/services:ssh             22/tcp          # SSH Remote Login Protocol
  /etc/services:ssh             22/udp          # SSH Remote Login Protocol

The ssh daemon is running on vanzandt:
  vanzandt:/var/log# ps ax|grep ssh
   6117 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent x-window-manager
   6677 ?        S      0:01 /usr/sbin/sshd
  10689 tty5     S      0:00 grep ssh

A third host is able to open an ssh session on vanzandt:
  Script started on Thu Mar 22 20:59:27 2001
  jrv@scribe:/tmp$ ssh -v vanzandt date
  SSH Version 1.2.26 [i586-unknown-linux], protocol version 1.5.
  Standard version.  Does not use RSAREF.
  scribe: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
  scribe: ssh_connect: getuid 1000 geteuid 0 anon 0
  scribe: Connecting to vanzandt [192.168.0.1] port 22.
  scribe: Allocated local port 1023.
  scribe: Connection established.
  scribe: Remote protocol version 1.5, remote software version OpenSSH-1.2.3
  scribe: Waiting for server public key.
  scribe: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1023 bits).
  scribe: Host 'vanzandt' is known and matches the host key.
  scribe: Initializing random; seed file /home/jrv/.ssh/random_seed
  scribe: IDEA not supported, using 3des instead.
  scribe: Encryption type: 3des
  scribe: Sent encrypted session key.
  scribe: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
  scribe: Received encrypted confirmation.
  scribe: No agent.
  scribe: Trying RSA authentication with key 'jrv@scribe'
  scribe: Received RSA challenge from server.
  scribe: Sending response to host key RSA challenge.
  scribe: Remote: RSA authentication accepted.
  scribe: RSA authentication accepted by server.
  scribe: Sending command: date
  scribe: Entering interactive session.
  Thu Mar 22 20:59:58 EST 2001
  scribe: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 29, stderr 0 bytes in 0.1 seconds
  scribe: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 502.2, stderr 0.0
  scribe: Exit status 0
  jrv@scribe:/tmp$
  Script done on Thu Mar 22 20:59:37 2001

voyager also cannot open an ssh session on scribe.  I.e. the problem
seems to be on voyager.

Just about the only difference I can detect is that voyager is running
version 2.2.13 of the Linux kernel, while the other two are running
2.4.2.  However, I can't believe ssh is incompatible with the older
kernel.  (I would upgrade voyager to the newer kernel, but it's a
notebook, and so far I have not been able to get the necessary pcmcia
modules to compile.)

I would appreciate any suggestions.

        - Jim Van Zandt