And to tie these comments in with the issue of security...... To my
knowledge, B&N has never been compromised to the tune of millions of
customer data files. That is just the most recent problem that
Amazon.com has had. They have had several penetrations in the past. They
haven't disappeared yet, and they are still quite large. However, public
perception of them is getting worse, and it will eventually catch up to
them. Many of the .com's have had the same problem. They don't take
security seriously, they get penetrated, so no one want's to buy from
them. I'm sure there is a direct cause and effect there. If a company
want's to survive, management-types need to realize that they hire
people for a reason. That reason being that they (the managers) do not
always know what's best, nor do they know everything. That is why they
hire specific people for specific jobs. There are very few people alive
that know everything about everything. If management does not want to
accept the decisions and recommendations that the technical people make,
then they need to accept the consequences. The situation is only made
worse by middle managers with delusions of grandeur that act as yes-men
to upper management because they want to enhance their careers. If they
don't relay the appropriate urgency from the technical staff to upper
management, then when a penetration does happen, they won't have a
career anymore.

Kenny