Hi all,

Anyone ever heard of anything that gives similar info about DNS queries to
what traceroute gives for network paths?

In debugging DNS issues, I'd like to know what servers my DNS lookups are
hitting to make sure things are set up correctly.  For instance, I'd like to
test that when my main DNS server is down, that my secondary is taking over.

Obviously this can be tested by just shutting down the primary.  However, I'd
like to have the warm fuzzy of traceroute-like output telling me that the query
went to a root server, the the .com server, then finally dns2.foo.com.

I looked at dig, but that didn't seem to have this feature.  Anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks,
--

Seeya,