From: Dan Jenkins [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 9:05 PM
Cc: Greater NH Linux Users' Group
Subject: Re: Linux Standardization (was: inted question)

Benjamin Scott wrote:

>   Maybe it's my background.  I started off in the Unix world as a junior
admin
> at UNH's Space Science Lab.  They had just about every OS known to man
there:
> DOS, Win 3.x, Win9X, WinNT, MacOS, Novell, Ultrix, OSF/1, IRIX, SunOS,
> Solaris, VMS... you name it.  Anything they didn't run, the folks
downstairs
> in the Research Computing Center did.
>
>   The different distributions of Linux seem downright consistent in
> comparison.  :-)

Hear, hear!!!

I support a variety of heterogenous environments (some as rich as Mr.
Scott's
above). I may use one or more Linux distributions even at one site. I like
what
different distros do. (Though, of course, any of them could solve the
problems.)
Finding where a configuration file or two is located is quite minor compared
how AIX does stuff compared to Solaris compared to Linux - disregarding the
various Windows variants, Macintosh, etc.

I find the differences between Linux distros to be akin to the different
layouts
in cars. It might take a few minutes to locate the glove box or open the
trunk
from inside, but we all can figure it out. We don't insist that all cars
have
exactly the same layout. Why should our Linux distros?

As the FHS progresses, we should find more consistency in any event.
--
Dan Jenkins ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA, 1-603-627-0443