[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > The box isn't really more secure than Linux, its just that there's
> >  fewer things to go wrong - and if someone does have an exploit
> >  for a firmware bug, its usually fixed with the next powercycle.
> >  It would be an equivalent to running something like the Linux Router
> >  Project (which is a bootable floppy with a dedicated firewall).
> >
> That sounds like a great meeting.
> Let the new users know what a firewall is, what it can,
> & can't do, & a brief how-to set up a Linux firewall.

Another vote for such a meeting.  "Precautions for exposing
your Linux system to the 'net"...

This entire thread has been an education;  one of those "yeah, I
sorta knew there was an issue there", but indicative of an area
where I needed to do a whole lot more thinking.

1.  You're responsible for what you allow your system to
    do to the 'net.   Hmmm.

2.  Your ISP will be mad at YOU when you get cracked.  Hmmm.

3.  Installing Linux "can" give crackers a more powerful tool
    than installing WinXXX.   Hmmm.

A big "thank you" to Greg for sharing this painful story with us.

Sometimes security discussions remind me of flying, where we
try hard to learn from mistakes.  An old pilots' aphorism says:

    Good decisions come from experience.
    Experience comes from bad decisions.

-Bill
--