I guess what I was after was the restrictions that would apply to copying a  Red
Hat CD. As I mentioned earlier, I don't think they're getting  rich off their
package sales so I'd be loath to diminish in any way their ability to make money
from what they do. On the one hand these distributions make the installation and
use of Linux very convenient but on the other hand new versions come out very
frequently.

In fact I find that there is so much variance in the target hardware that
sometimes I need to try 3 or more distributions before I can get a mostly
functional Linux OS installed on a particular machine. I've bought at least 3
different distributions from Red Hat in the past and will continue to do that
periodically. One thing I've never done though is called their support line or
even so much as sent them an email. I can almost always work through the
problems I run into but as you might have seen from my recent post recounting my
experiences trying to install on a new laptop, I sometimes throw in the towel on
a specific machine. Then after waiting a while for Linux distros to catch up to
my hardware, I take another crack at it. Laptops seem to be the most difficult
systems to configure properly under Linux. BTW, I've certainly spent plenty of
time attempting to install Windows and that often doesn't go perfectly either
;^).

-Alex

P.S. One potential advantage of the Debian distribution is that Debian is very
strict about not packaging commercial applications on their CDs.

Wirth's Law: Software gets slower faster than Hardware gets faster!

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it
said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."   - Anonymous