looks convenient and somewhat topical.

-----Original Message-----
From: NW on Application Service Providers
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 6:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Hosted vulnerability scanning

NETWORK WORLD NEWSLETTER: JEB BOLDING
on APPLICATION SERVICE PROVIDERS
07/11/01 - Today's focus: Hosted vulnerability scanning

Dear Bradford Maxwell,

In this issue:

* A look at Vulnerabilities.org
* Links related to ASPs
* Featured reader resource

TECHNOLOGY & VENDOR NEWS ALERTS
Sign-up to receive e-mail news alerts on LANs, Storage,
Network/Systems Management, The Edge, Cisco and Microsoft. Keep
abreast of the most significant developments of the week in
these specific technologies and for these vendors! Subscribe
today at http://nww1.com/go/ad082.html
Today's focus: Hosted vulnerability scanning

By Jeb Bolding

Sometimes while surfing, I run into product ideas that strike
my fancy. I recall the first time I came across Keynote and
thought it was a great service. I used it as a sales tool to
help us prove our fast download times and consistent
availability. We also used it as a justification, in connection
with customer volume, to set up co-location facilities in
primary market locations so that we could ensure consistent
customer usability for our services.

I wasn't sure how services such as Keynote, made money, after
all, latency measurement is important to some extent, but I
couldn't really use the data I got from Keynote to help solve
IT problems. Most of the issues that Keynote highlighted were
problems outside the firewall, an area over which I had
virtually no control.

Recently I found another hosted service that strikes me much
the same way that Keynote originally did. It's called
VVulnerabilities.org http://www.vulnerabilities.org/), a
security-oriented hosted service.

Vulnerabilities.org basically does port-scanning of IP
addresses that you provide to determine where your port holes
(not to be confused with those in a ship) may be. You give it
an e-mail address of where to send the report and once it's
done, you get about six pages or so (depending on how many
vulnerabilities you have) outlining all the problem areas the
service found.

The engines behind the scans are based on Nessus and Nmap, both
scanning software that are open-source, and rated fairly high
in turning up weaknesses in your port configurations. What
Vulnerabilities.org has done is add a Web interface on top of
those two tools.

Specifically, the Nmap scan runs a TCP/UDP portscan on the IP
address that you provide to Vulnerabilities.org. The Web site
notes that this is the lightest and fastest scan. It will list
the most open TCP/UDP ports on your server, and give a brief
explanation of the function and problems that typically occur
based upon the port configuration at the site that you scan.

The other, Nessus scans for open ports on your system, and
then, according to Vulnerabilities.org, tests for more than 580
security configuration problems on each open port. But BEWARE,
these tests will push servers to the wall and try to crash them
if possible. Basically, if things don't fall apart during this
test, you should be in pretty good shape.

This is also where Vulnerabilities.org makes money. If there is
a problem it offers to advise you on how to find the right
patches for your servers, covering several operating system
platforms and hardware. It also gives you architectural and
product advice for securing your systems.

After giving Vulnerabilities.org two IP addresses to hit, and
the name of our Exchange server, I waited to see what I got
back. About 20 minutes later, I got an automated e-mail listing
the problems. Not assuming too much, I took that data down to
our main IT person for his perusal.

All in all, he said a couple of times, " I know about patches
for this, I really should fix that problem," and twice, "I
hadn't thought about that, I need to check into it and get more
information."

For something that's free, I thought the outcome was reasonably
well worth my time and our IT person's time since there were a
couple of unknown problems out there that could have been
exploited had we not learned about them.

To me, Vulnerabilities.org's ASP business is a pretty good
model. It is trying to solve a straightforward problem. There's
a free teaser offer to get you to try it out, and once you're
hooked, the service seems to solve recognizably valuable
problems. Altogether, Vulnerabilities.org has a clear value
proposition, in my opinion.

To contact Jeb Bolding:

Jeb Bolding is senior consultant with Enterprise Management
Associates in Boulder, Colo., an analyst and market research
firm focusing exclusively on enterprise management. Bolding has
10 years of experience in the network systems industry, most
recently with eCollege.com, an ASP for higher education, where
he was director of product development. He can be reached at
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].
RELATED EDITORIAL LINKS

Sense of Security
http://www.senseofsecurity.com/audits.asp

Hacker Whacker
http://www.hackerwhacker.com/

Security Space
http://www.securityspace.com/sspace/index.html

Hosting glut should mean bargains for companies
Network World, 07/09/01
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2001/0709glut.html

Breaking ASP news from Network World, updated daily:
http://www.nwfusion.com/topics/asp.html

Archive of the ASP newsletter:
http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/asp/index.html
FEATURED READER RESOURCE

Technology Primers
Need background information on a specific technology? Check
out the Technology Primer section of Network World Fusion:
http://nww1.com/go11/0611RESOURCE.html. Covering a range of
topics from ASPs and Convergence to Security and Gigabit
Ethernet, the page offers links to the best resources from
Network World and around the 'Net. Featuring overviews,
tutorials, news, publications, forums and more, it's a
one-stop guide to a host of technologies.

To change your e-mail address, go to:
http://www.nwwsubscribe.com/news/scripts/changeemail.asp

Subscription questions? Contact Customer Service by replying to
this message.

Have editorial comments? Write Jeff Caruso, Newsletter Editor,
at: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

For advertising information, write Jamie Kalbach, Fusion Sales
Manager, at: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright Network World, Inc., 2001